Subject: Re: Other Singers Who Smoked
From: Marie Lamb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 7 Sep 2017 13:11:21 -0400

Regarding Martinelli, I recall reading somewhere that he was asked, "Is it
true that [brand] cigarettes don't hurt your throat, as you say in the
ads?" Martinelli's reply: "Of course it's true. That's because I have never
smoked them." Apparently, he made the endorsement and got paid for it, but
didn't actually use the product. Maybe this is also true of some other
singers, who made the endorsements back in the days before the general
public knew of the dangers of tobacco.

Just a thought--

Marie Lamb