Subject: Other Singers Who Smoked
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 7 Sep 2017 10:31:15 -0400

There’s photo evidence of many singers smoking, including Callas and Sills
too. I’ve been called out that Sills never smoked, but she admits as much
in her second autobiography (though it was post singing career, not during
it).  In the Zeffirelli documentary on Callas, De Hidalgo smokes through her
entire interview, using her cigarettes to make punctuation marks, stabbing
the air with dots and commas.

Singers are probably the smallest group of performing artists who smoke.
There are high percentages of smokers who work in dance, acting,
orchestral and pit musicians, conductors.  As a kid I remember my Mom
getting upset upon seeing Kenneth Schermerhorn, literally seconds after
conducting a Chicago Symphony concert, lighting up and puffing away.

A season or so ago, I was smoking outside the Empire and had a brief but
pleasant conversation with another smoker, who goes by the name Rene
Pape. I mentioned my being a big fan and how I was looking forward to his
Gurnemanz the next evening.  It's one of the most beautiful roles ever
written and that night Pape gave one of the finest performances of it I will ever
ever hear.  I can still hear his elegant, moving phrasing in "Nun freut sich
alle Kreatur" in my head and get the gooseflesh.

Back when I joined this list (21 years ago!) it was populated by folk I
became friends with who’ve left of their own volition, or passed on.  One
sorely missed was Tom Savage, who regularly used to crack me up. I
remember an email exchange we had, joking back and forth how
eventually everything becomes a Broadway musical . . . I quipped how I
was working on “Salesman!” when Tom brought up the classic Simpson’s
episode with Marge starring in "O Streetcar!"

To the topic at hand, I recall Tom mentioning how he’d gone to a post
performance nightcap at O’Neals following a “Queen of Spades” and ran
into Olga Borodina, Dmitri Hvorostovsky and Elisabeth Soederstrom, all
smoking at the bar.

Then there were:  Jess Thomas,Jan Peerce, Norman Triegle, Justino Diaz,
James Morris, Regine Crespin, Mario Sereni, Siegfried Jerusalem, Giuseppe
Di Stefano, Franco Corelli, Benjamino Gigli, Monserrat Caballe, Ettore
Bastianini, Victoria de los Angeles, all smokers.  Jon Vickers reformed,
stating in several interviews he’d quit in the 70’s.  Robert Merrill proudly
smoked Camels.

I’ve known a number of singers who didn’t smoke cigarettes, but were
happy hittin’ da ganja.  Speaking of which, I recall some singers at City
Opera complaining about Ashley Putnam smoking weed.

Not a singer, but as a teenager seeing the now famous promo photo of the
young Martha Argerich smoking was the hottest non-nude photo of anyone
I’d ever seen and put me on a lifelong crush for that woman.  A televised
interview with Argerich and Charles Dutoit, shows her striking a match and
lighting up before continuing in French so natural sounding you’d never
know she was from “down Argentine way.”

We all know smoking is not good for us, but “back then” it was nowhere
near the scourge it’s now become and those who imbibed weren’t treated
like social pariahs.

Ah, the glories of yesteryear.

p.