Subject: Re: Fanciulla at NYCO
From: Jeffrey Friedman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 7 Sep 2017 08:59:50 -0400

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 06:48:23 -0400, Buoso Donati
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Has anyone seen the production or read a review?
>I'm looking forward to Friday's performance and hoping not to be
disappointed.

I think that whether you'll be disappointed or not depends on the level of
expectations you bring.

The orchestra and conducting were very good.  The singers were
serviceable.  They warmed up, so though I found the first act so-so the
second and third were much better.  It was opening night, so maybe Friday
will start better.

Be prepared for a shocking modernistic staging, though.  The miners and
cowboys all carried GUNS instead of the traditional umbrellas and folding
tables.

Jeff