Subject: Fwd: "Three Doctorate Degrees"
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 1 Sep 2017 23:25:36 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 3:13 PM
Subject: Re: "Three Doctorate Degrees"
To: albert innaurato <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: Opera-L <[log in to unmask]>

And where but on Opera-L do the members let a habitual scold berate
them for their honesty, their dedication, their curiosity, their right to
privacy and to the pursuit of pleasure?  These baleful outbursts, no matter
how hard they try to wound and stab, are useful as a source of expertly
well written entertainment.

I for one, can think of no opera, and some of my favorites from way back
are among the longest, that ever affected me the way Kafka thought a book
should. When I finished the only one of his I ever read, I had to agree
with him: "what did I do that for"?

Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam is the guide I like to call upon to explain the
purpose of art, which must often come to terms with grief, but should never
be the cause of it.

dtmk