Subject: Re: Opera Singers in Movies
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 6 Sep 2017 15:38:00 -0400

Rich brought up Eddy’s participation as Orest in Elektra.   Until I saw his
name on a pirate operatic recording some  30 odd years ago, I hadn’t a
clue he’d legitimately performed in opera.  In fact I's thought od it as
a joke.  Boy was I ever wrong.

Eddy had written a screenplay based on the life of Chaliapin – which he had
also planned to star in.  Had that happened, someone might have invented
the phrase  (before me, now) “Move over Great Caruso!”

Mr. Eddy admitted to learning/memorizing 35 opera roles, 31 of which he’d
performed.

His favorite opera was  “Gotterdammerung” and his favorite composer, Wagner.

Wagner.

In an interview “Nelson Eddy Answers All Your Questions,” he admitted to
smoking.  He also admitted he thought Hollywood was not yet ready to
tackle the filming of complete operas stating:

“The studios should perfect and finish the job they’re doing with things
like “Maytime” before they start on the more difficult task of adapting
Wagner and Puccini.”

He was asked how old someone should be before they begin singing
lessons.

“For a boy, sixteen, after his voice has safely changed. A girl can start at
fourteen or fifteen if she’s precocious . . . and talented.”

Eddy’s co-stars on film, stage or studio, included Maria Jeritza, (Salome),
Amelita Galli-Curci, Rose Bampton, Helen Jepson, Risë Stevens, Eleanor
Steber, Dorothy Kirsten, Ingrid Bjoerner, and his maestros included
Stokowski. Toscanini, Reiner ns Respighi.

A 1939 Chicago Tribune article announcing an upcoming recital at the Civic
Opera House, mentions his leading roles in several operas, including “Boris
Godunov,” but, outside of an aria, I’ve never seen anything indicating Eddy
ever sang Boris – or “in” Boris.

Some of Nelson Eddy’s other rose include:

CAVALLERIA RUSTICANA - Alfio
LA NAVARRAISE - Bustamente
GIANNI SCHICCHI - Gianni Schicchi
SAMSON ET DELILAH - Abimelech & the High Priest
TANNHAUSER - Wolfram
MADAMA BUTTERFLY - Sharpless
ROMEO ET JULIETTE - Mercutio
LOHENGRIN - Herald
FEUERSNOT - Hammerlein
SECRET OF SUZANNE - Count Gil
L'AMORE DEI TRE RE - Manfredo
DIE MEISTERSINGER - Kothner
MANON LESCAUT - Lescaut
L'ENFANT PRODIGUE - Simeon
ORFEO ED EURYDICE -
DAS RHEINGOLD - Donner
GOTTERDAMMERUNG - Gunther
FAUST - Valentine
HANSEL AND GRETL - Peter
L'ELISIR D'AMORE - Belcore
ELEKTRA - Orestes
WOZZECK - Drum Major (Dramatic Tenor)
MARIA EGIZIACA - Abbot Zosimo and Pilgrim
SALOME - Jochanahan
PARSIFAL - Gurnemanz

P.