Subject: Re: Opera Singers in Movies
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 6 Sep 2017 14:15:43 -0400

Personally, my favorite Melchior film was his first: "Thrill of a Romance"
with leads Esther Williams and Van Johnson. (The film also features Tommy
Dorsey and his band). There is nothing quite like an Esther Williams film;
there is a kind of wonderful madness to the swimming numbers, and the films
(and Williams) are enormously likeable.

Melchior reportedly loved making movies. The Met reportedly hated him making
movies.

I would add on Nelson Eddy that he also sang Orest. To my mind, that was his
most unlikely role.