Subject: Re: Are opera movies forgotten?
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Mon, 4 Sep 2017 17:26:12 -0400

I feel the subject is unfair.  We live in a world where any old movie (i.e. made
before 2000) is consigned either to the cable channel TCM or the storage
vault. In other words, most of the world sees movies as ephemeral.  If it's
not of the current time then it's old and unwanted.

But unlike previous periods, today we live in a world where one can pick and
chose the movies one wants to see, even if we have to see them on our tv sets,
computer monitors or on our phones, rather than with a huge audience.  Thanks to
TCM, I'm sure the first Lily Pons film, "I Dream Too Much" has been seen by a
larger audience in the past 20 years than saw it in the first came out.  You can
even purchase it.  (It's kind of interesting to see Lucille Ball in a tiny
part.)

So to answer the leading question, opera movies are not forgotten by those who
have an interest in seeing them.

  Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; EXLIBRIS-L ; SoundForge-users