Subject: Re: Are opera movies forgotten?
From: Jay & Ralph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 4 Sep 2017 14:03:12 -0400

I am doing a video/lecture on Carmen Sep 10 in Burbank.
Included are the following movie clips

BROADWAY MELODY 1938
The first shot of this movie shows crowds in front of the
old Metropolitan Opera and posters of Carmen.
An orchestra plays Escamillo’s music and
a voice is heard beginning the “Toreador Song.”
The camera pans right to a
barber shop, where a barber
(played by baritone Igor Gorin) is singing
the aria while shaving Buddy Ebsen.
Roy Del Ruth directed. MGM. Black and white. 110 minutes.

ONE NIGHT OF LOVE
Grace Moore sings
Habanera
(1875) (uncredited)
from "Carmen"
Music by Georges Bizet
Libretto by Henri Meilhac and Ludovic Halévy
Sung by Grace Moore and chorus in an opera

COCOANUTS MARKS BROTHERS 1929
TALE OF THE SHIRT
(1925) (uncredited)
Music written by Georges Bizet, from "Carmen"
Lyrics by Irving Berlin
Sung by Basil Ruysdael and chorus

Metropolitan 1935
Toreador Song
(uncredited)
from "Carmen" (1875)
Music by Georges Bizet
Libretto by Henri Meilhac and Ludovic Halévy
Sung by Lawrence Tibbett and chorus

Ridin’ the Cherokee Trail 1941
This low-budget Tex Ritter Western contains what is
surely the most bizarre version of the “Toreador Song” in
the movies. It has to be seen to be believed

Many more clips included--some from 'real' opera productions....