Subject: Re: AGE OF INNOCENCE: not the Met
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 4 Sep 2017 14:03:19 -0400

Lots of books in this place, but very few are novels, so I had to rely on
what I recalled of the film.  Speaking of films, I saw a lot of them in a
large theater named Loew's Academy of Music, which stood on or near the
very same site. Its interior even resembled an opera house. And in
Brooklyn, there used to be a
Loew's Metropolitan, now converted to religious services.  I have attended
musical performances in what were once, and in some cases still are,
but I have yet to worship in a theater.

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 1:12 PM, David Shengold <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Donald Kane wrote:
> "One favorite excerpt, even though I can't remember whether it was from
> FAUST or  R & J, is the opera being performed about a hundred and
> thirty years ago in the brand  new "old"  Met at the beginning of THE
> Actually not, though people do make this assumption, and for good reason.
> The novel begins:
> "On a January evening of the early seventies, Christine Nilsson was
> singing in Faust at the Academy of Music in New York."
> Though there was already talk of the erection, in remote metropolitan
> distances "above the Forties," of a new Opera House which should compete in
> costliness and splendour with those of the great European capitals, the
> world of fashion was still content to reassemble every winter in the shabby
> red and gold boxes of the sociable old Academy"
> So, the 'new' Old Met was being talked about but was still a dozen years
> in the future. The Academy of Music to which the narrator refers was on
> Irving Place at 14th Street and had opened in 1854. Swedish diva Christine
> Nilsson, who *did* open the Met in FAUST in 1883, had by then already sung
> in NYC for some years, including at the Academy of Music.
> The Philadelphia Academy is still a lovely place to hear music: Its OP
> season opens this coming weekend with the Barrie Kosky ZAUBERFLOETE on
> Friday and a Sondra Radvanovsky recital Sunday afternoon.
> Best- David Shengold

Modify your settings: