Subject: Re: Are opera movies forgotten?
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 4 Sep 2017 12:49:28 -0400

The Bergman "Flute" is in a class by itself. Plus, it's really more of a film about a
performance of an opera (the backstage/audience shots, etc) than merely a filmed opera
itself. I haven't seen it in a long time now - I think it's time to watch it again. ;-)

Speaking of lip-synching - there's the Ponnelle "Figaro" (if I remember correctly) that was
done with the characters' private thoughts/asides "sung" with closed mouths. Weirdest
thing I've ever seen. Didn't work, as least for me.

On Mon, 4 Sep 2017 12:01:16 -0400, Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>There are many I have enjoyed--I would add Bohm's Ariadne to the list along with his
Elektra, priceless for Rysanek's performance--but there are few I think really succeed as
films, rather than filmed operas, and if they are on I listen rather than watch. (For one
thing the lip-synching tends to be iffy in many of them.) The two Magic Flutes are
exceptions. I remember when the Bergman came out he remarked on what a wonderful
time he had making it, saying something like "you can't imagine what it's like having
Mozart in the studio every day."

On Behalf Of ANGELO MAMMANO

<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>     And how about all those Italian black and white gems from the 40's and 50's that I
saw as a kid? It was a special day when my mom let be take the bus alone to go to the
Campus Theater in Berkeley CA to see one.

<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> >             > > >

Europe, and Russia, are

La Traviata, and

>> >         I don't know that we can blame the live in movie theatres phenomenon.
Opera films have
>> >         never been that common.
>> >
>> >         I HOPE the films Zeffirelli of "Traviata" and "Otello" are forgotten, there are
much better
>> >         versions available.
>> >
>> >         Here are some more recent films of operas, some "made for TV". Some are
quite good:

>> >         Margaret Williams' 1999 "Powder Her Face", with the composer (Ad├Ęs)
conducting.

>> >         Margaret Williams' 2001 "Owen Wingrave", with Gerald Finley, Charlotte
Hellekant, and
>> >         Josephine Barstow, Nagano conducting. The world-premiere TV version is also
available.

>> >         Penny Woolcock's 2003 "The Death of Klinghoffer", with Sanford Sylvan,
Christopher
>> >         Maltman, and Tom Randle, the composer conducting.
>> >
>> >         I don't think I've seen it, but there's also Katie Mitchell's 2004 "Turn of the
Screw", with
>> >         Lisal Milne and Mark Padmore, Richard Hickox conducting.
>> >
>> >         I don't care much about "La Boheme" (it's done well in spite of that), but
there's the 2009
>> >         Robert Dornhelm film with Netrebko and Villazon.
>> >
>> >         The 2001 Benoit Jacquot "Tosca" with Gheorghiu, Alagna, and Raimondi,
Pappano