Subject: Re: Are opera movies forgotten?
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 4 Sep 2017 11:41:37 -0400

Donald Kane wrote:

"One favorite excerpt, even though I can't remember whether it was from
FAUST or  R & J, is the opera being performed about a hundred and
thirty years ago in the brand  new "old"  Met at the beginning of THE
AGE OF INNOCENCE..."

It was "Faust."  In fact, the movie opens with the prelude to "Faust."  The movie is one of my
favorites, beautifully acted and so sumptuous to look at.  I have always loved the way the
family and society friends conspire to keep Newland Archer and Countess Olenska from
having an affair, while never even acknowledging, openly, the possibility of such a thing
happening.  The ultimate in discretion and tact while steering Archer into doing the right
thing.

Max