Subject: Re: Are opera movies forgotten?
From: Wendell Eatherly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 4 Sep 2017 07:22:43 -0400

On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 20:39:33 -0400, Ghozel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Now that we regularly see filmed opera productions from the MET, Europe, and Russia, are
opera films a thing of the past?

>Also, I never hear about people watching classic opera films like Carmen, La Traviata, and
Otello anymore.

I don't know that we can blame the live in movie theatres phenomenon. Opera films have
never been that common.

I HOPE the films Zeffirelli of "Traviata" and "Otello" are forgotten,  there are much better
versions available.

Here are some more recent films of operas, some "made for TV". Some are quite good:

Margaret Williams' 1999 "Powder Her Face", with the composer (Adès) conducting.

Margaret Williams' 2001 "Owen Wingrave", with Gerald Finley, Charlotte Hellekant, and
Josephine Barstow, Nagano conducting. The world-premiere TV version is also available.

Penny Woolcock's 2003 "The Death of Klinghoffer", with Sanford Sylvan, Christopher
Maltman, and Tom Randle, the composer conducting.

I don't think I've seen it, but there's also Katie Mitchell's 2004 "Turn of the Screw", with
Lisal Milne and Mark Padmore, Richard Hickox conducting.

I don't care much about "La Boheme" (it's done well in spite of that), but there's the 2009
Robert Dornhelm film with Netrebko and Villazon.

The 2001 Benoit Jacquot "Tosca" with Gheorghiu, Alagna, and Raimondi, Pappano
conducting.

Kenneth Branagh's 2006 "Magic Flute".