Subject: Re: Review: A Vocal Lover's Dream: Schwarzkopf on 78s
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 3 Sep 2017 14:11:10 -0500

Jason:

      It's always such a pleasure to read your reviews.  It's like balm to my soul.  You REALLY convey to ME what you are feeling and experiencing.  I wish that all the reviews I read were as "connected" with me as yours are.  You are to be congratulated and lauded for your work.  I only wish you did more of this and would share it.   It is my personal opinion that EMI in the 1940s and 1950s somehow managed to have the four greatest soprano artists of almost ANY generation ----------- Flagstad, Schwarzkopf, de los Angeles, and of course Maria Callas.  To have had four artists of their caliber dominating their classical vocal stable was akin to having Fort Knox to the fourth power.   Walter Legge may have had his detractors, and he not have been the most ingratiating personality, but he has left a musical legacy in recordings that will live far longer than we will.

     I've communicated with you before, and each time I do, I am convinced that I've run out of superlatives.  No ------ I do not agree with all of your opinions and assessments ------ and I DO question some of them (if not disagree completely), but you do such an adroit job of defending your observations that I'm always put into at an at least partial feeling of surrender.

    I DO hope that you do a review on the forthcoming Callas Live box that is soon to emerge from Warner.  I've pre-ordered it and am anxiously awaiting for it to arrive.  I'm hoping for a miracle, or at least significantly improved sound reproduction and dynamics.  I will definitely want to hear your "spin" on this significant release.

   Thanking you so much for your Schwarzkopf review.  She remains one of my "special" singers -----one of the very "greats".  The "mannerisms" be damned!   She was sublime -- and beautiful too.  Legge sure knew how to pick 'em!  Nicolai Gedda, Gerard Souzay,

Irmgard Seefried, Christa Ludwig, Hans Hotter, Tito Gobbi, Fedora Barbieri, Leopold Simoneau, etc.  When you think about it, it's really amazing.

   Again and again, Many, Many Thanks!

                                                                                                                  Les/Chicago