Subject: Vocal Record Collectors' Society meeting: Sept. 8
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sun, 3 Sep 2017 10:18:27 -0400

Date:  Friday, September 8, 2017
Time:  7:45 PM
Plate: Christ Church, northwest corner of 60th St. and Park Ave.,
Manhattan, NYC - Third Floor Meeting Room

The Vocal Record Collectors Society presents
HIGHLIGHTS FROM 2,500 REELS - PART II
By Donald Collup

Whenever Donald Collup presents a program for the VRCS, we can be sure of
something unusual, even unique.  A decade back he gave us the honor of
premiering his documentary NEVER BEFORE: THE LIFE, ART & FIRST NEW YORK CAREER
OF ASTRID VARNAY, then came his second VRCS premiere, a documentary called
FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS: A WORLD OF HER OWN. Other programs followed, including
excerpts from his podcast called The Operatic PastCast, which is devoted to his
interviewing at length many people from all areas of the operatic world, this to
preserve and present operatic memories and impressions, both visual and aural.
Another podcast is devoted to Alfred Hubay and his Met Memories from 1943 to
1966.  The URL for The Operatic PastCast is http://www.operaticpastcast.com and
for the Hubay podcast http://www.alfredhubay.com He also presented a memorable
program involving a close and riveting examination of the career of the late
Italian-American soprano Elisabeth Carron. His last VRCS program was Part I of
HIGHLIGHTS FROM 2,500 REELS, and he promised further examples from this
wonderful treasure trove. This is, as you note, Part II.

We will let Donald tell it in his own words, describing what we will hear:

As I plan this, there will be 10 sopranos, 5 mezzo-sopranos, 5 tenors and 3
baritones. Often, my choices turn out to be not only for the singing but for the
conducting and/or accompanying. My presentation weighs in at 25 selections
lasting just minutes east or west of two hours, some with vocal flaws and/or
sonic flaws. You will hear singing from the early Baroque into the late 1960s,
an extremely rare, complete concert of 5 selections with orchestra by a beloved
Italian singer (3 of which from roles never sung on this side of the pond), a
few transfachs, a final trio full of heartfelt emotion on many levels, opera and
art song, chest voice ranges that you thought youd never ever hear, a well-known
singer in a rare in-house recording, bullfight singing, an assortment of sobs,
all live except for 2. The first selection of each half will not be announced.
Its for you to guess.

In January of 2013, a noted collector of photographs, autographs and antiques
passed away. Over the years he had hired me to record live and archive Sirius
Met broadcasts two or three times a week, since he attended the Met almost
nightly. He also had me transfer a handful of reels which told me he had an
unusual collection, but I couldnt talk him into letting me start transferring
them.

I wrote to the executor of the estate voicing my concern about the collection,
requesting that it not be discarded nor given to someone who would then just
continue to store it, and learned that a friend and trusted colleague of the
late collector was in charge of it. In June of 2013, another collector with whom
I had traded in the past sent me dozens of pictures of stacks and stacks of
these reels. When I responded, offering my help in transferring the reels, that
collector responded that he had purchased that very collection! There were
exactly 2,500 reels, half of it Met material, the other half from elsewhere.

There were several great things about the collection: 1) The collector purchased
reels of Met broadcasts from collectors/recordists in Manhattan, which meant
they were very often in FM, whereas the rest of the U.S. received broadcasts in
AM only. 2) The purchased reels were not multi-generational, meaning less
possibility of gradation of quality via copies of copies of copies. 3) Most of
the reels Ive transferred have announcements/curtain calls by Milton Cross,
intermission features and/or radio station signoffs. Many of the 1940s reels are
rather pristine single-digit-generation transfers of transcription discs that
were sent to South America and Mexico for re-broadcast, utilizing a Spanish or
Portuguese-speaking announcer. 4) This collector took his reel-to-reel Uher deck
into opera houses all over the world and made in-house recordings. 5) The reels
were rarely if ever played!

About 15 years ago at the VRCS, a man named Paul Micio (VRCS note: we remember
him well!) asked me if I was interested in buying an AKAI GX-747 DBX 4 Track
Stereo Deck, as he was moving to France. We arranged a meeting at my apartment
to make the sale, but when he arrived, he carried the extremely heavy deck into
my apartment and totally surprised me with the deck as a GIFT, for which I have
been forever grateful. Every audiophile that has seen it compliments its high
quality. Using this, I finished transferring the entire collection in the fall
of 2015.

After having transferred a collection of 2,500 reels, Donald must have enough
material to keep the VRCS going, not for two hours, not even for two months, but
possibly for two decades (dare we hope for two centuries?), so Part II may still
be witnessing this project in its infancy!

Donald Collup has had a wide-ranging career, first as a noted boy soprano, then
as both lyric baritone and pianist. As a pianist, he did a good deal of solo and
accompaniment work, and then studied at both the Peabody and Curtis Institutes
and at Yale University. He has participated in many master classes with Gerard
Souzay, Dalton Baldwin, Hans Hotter and Martial Singher. In 1984, he garnered
prizes in the international singing competitions of Paris, sHertogenbosch and
Toulouse. He has given recitals across the Eastern seaboard as well as a recital
for Netherlands Radio. He was resident baritone at the Marlboro Music Festival
for three consecutive summers. In 1995, he also appeared as Pelleas in several
concert performances of the Debussy opera conducted by Michel Singher, son of
Martial Singher.

Do plan to be with us for yet another excursion through vocal excellence with
Donald Collup!

Plate: Christ Church, northwest corner of 60th St. and Park Ave.,
Manhattan, NYC - Third Floor Meeting Room

posted by
  Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; EXLIBRIS-L ; SoundForge-users