Subject: Re: Alligators in opera
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 2 Sep 2017 17:05:37 -0400

DId anyone mention the Alligators (perhaps they were Crocodiles) in Act 3
of Siegfried?

In Bayreuth's Castorff production there is the Gator / Croc Siegfried feeds
popcorn to during the Act 3 duet with Brunnhilde...at some point the sated
creature  is joined by another Gator / Croc and there is quite a bit of
copulation - assuming the machinery worked - the first time I saw it was
more like auto alligatorism, but the second time, all was in working order
and there was proper two party coitus.

Towards the end one of the gators / crocs felt a little peckish and
devoured the Forest Bird - which was subsequently rescued by Siegfried who
had no possible interest in what  Brunnhilde was singing about at the top
of her lungs...

As Anna Russell once said - "I'm not making this up you know..."