Subject: Re: "Three Doctorate Degrees"
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 2 Sep 2017 12:37:54 -0400

Mr. Innaurato wrote:
"There is no 'battle' against Pelleas. But all great works divide opinions. They should. Art
is meant to make us uncomfortable as well as to thrill and stimulate us."

Bravo. Exactly. ;-)

Though, I would tend to call you out on all the "Only on Opera-L" stuff - that's pure
hyperbole, which we could all use much less of. ;-)

------------------
Mr. Kane wrote:
"And where but on Opera-L do the members let a habitual scold berate them for their
honesty, their dedication, their curiosity, their right to privacy and to the pursuit of
pleasure?"

Yes - *MR. KANE* - I do much wonder. Maybe less habitual scolding on your part would
be a nice solution. ;-)

--------------------------------
Mr. Geary wrote:
"Someone asked a friend of mine, a conductor 'What is a musicologist?' And he replied, 'A
musicologist is what you become when you don't have any talent.'"

I remember being introduced to Schenkerian analysis in my college music theory classes.
Now, I do have a curious, analytical mind when it comes to music, though I don't have
any true musicological training or degrees. (Fine by me, lol.) But I have to say - a huge
complex system of musical analysis that essentially shows us that every piece in the tonal
repertoire boils down to I-V-I? Like, duh. So yes, I laughed heartily at your post. A shame
that Mr. Innaurato couldn't also loosen up and enjoy the bit of humor. Must be a violist.
;-)

And in terms of this Paul Henry Lang fellow - really, who cares? He said what he said, one
either agrees with him or not - and I tend to think it's not worth much discussion if at all.
So let's not. ;-)