Subject: "Tu vedrai" at the Met (was Re: Sirius 'Trovatore')
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 Aug 2017 12:42:06 -0400

David Kubiak wrote:

"I should also say that this broadcast reminded me of the sadly mutilated
condition the standard repertoire used to be presented in.  Every "stretta"
gone and of course no "Tu vedrai"."

I am reading the new bio of Toscanini by Harvey Sachs (it is superb in every respect, highly
recommended!) and I learned something interesting.  When Toscanini led a new production
of "Trovatore" at the Met in 1915, he included "Tu vedrai," which I did not know had been
performed at the Met that far back.  (Toscanini also staged the production; Karajan the
regisseur had a precedent!)

Do those with long experience at the Met recall whether "Tu vedrai" was performed at the
Met any time during the 50s or 60s?  The first time I heard it in performance was at the
1976 production with Scotto and Pavarotti.  I have heard many of the Trovatore broadcasts
from 1950 on, and several before 1950, and I don't recall ever hearing "Tu vedrai."

Incidentally, that Toscanini-led "Trovatore" made a huge impact on critics and public and
caused many critics to revise their rather dismissive attitude towards the opera.  Apparently
Toscanini really scrubbed the old warhorse clean (although he allowed Martinelli the usual
interpolated high notes).

MDW