Subject: Re: Sirius 'Trovatore'
From: Ulrik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Aug 2017 16:58:18 -0400

I searched for "balen transposed" and came up with this, a post by Ed
Rosen from March 2007:

"Yes, Tucker transposed the Pira a half tone, as did Corelli in every live
performance. As did Caruso, Bjoerling after 1940, and 99% of Manricos
that I have heard. And yes, Merrill (and Bastianini) sometimes transposed
the Il balen, especially later in the Merrill career.

This baritone aria has a tremendously high tessiture, plus two very exposed
high G's. It is sometimes transposed even these days by certain baritones.

You have a very good ear! A half tone is fine, in my book, because the
tradition goes back at least 100 years. But, how was the Il balen, and how
were the high B naturals in Tucker's, since everyone knows that he
transposed it in performance? I thought they were amazing high B's.

Does everyone know that Tucker was the only tenor (at least that I ever
heard) that was "honest" enough to sing every single note that Verdi wrote
between the two high notes? Listen to him singing with the chorus singing
every note before the final high note. Who else did that? Live, of course,
They all did it on recordings.

And, come to think of it, I doubt if everyone reading the original post  knew
that Tucker transposed the Pira. But they do now!"