Subject: Re: French opera rarities
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 Aug 2017 11:31:06 -0400

Herodiade. It gets done in Europe, but not too often in the States; I know San Francisco did it in the 90s with Fleming, Zajick, Domingo, Juan Pons, can't remember the bass.

Needs five big star voices.; each gets a big showpiece aria.  Though the opera is called Herodiade, the main female character is Salome, a nice girl who loves John.

The role of Herodiade is fierce, calling for a dramatic mezzo or maybe a falcon with an extended upper range (exposed high Bs).  Love that barn-storming duet with Phanuel, the bass part.

Emma Calve sang both Salome and Herodiade.

I think we've got some singers these days who could do it; I could see Netrebko as Salome, but she seems to moving more toward spinto Verdi roles.

I can't think off-hand of a mezzo these days who could handle Herodiade. Jamie Barton?

Let's not have Domingo in the baritone part of Herod, please.

Modify your settings: