Subject: Three Doctorate Degrees
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 Aug 2017 11:27:02 -0400

At the time Lang was writing there was a general view that what mattered most was intellect, not feeling. I suppose it was in reaction to the Nineteenth Century discovery of feelings. It culminates in a classic remark by an Argentine friend, " You can't get your PhD without a legal divorce between mind and body".
The pendulum then swung to wholistic everything. It is much more touchy-feely than the 18th C. Perfect balance between heart and head.
Anyway, at the time Lang's book was looked upon as a bible.
There is also Donald Jay Grout: "A Short History of Opera." I think I got rid of it in a fit of pique.
Anyway, things change. The ruling thought changes. Or philosophy, maybe is a better word. Zeitgeist.
Boy, does that sound calm against the verkakte present we are enduring.
RP

Sent from my iPhone