Subject: Re: Salzburg Wozzek
From: Ron Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Aug 2017 15:03:00 -0400

Kentridge was greeted at the end of the performance with enthusiastic applause that contained none of the customary boos.  He framed the stage with a run down scaffolding that served surprisingly well as the set for each act.  He presented the opera from the viewpoint of German expressionism of the 1920’s and a running loop of violent video images from the great war.
Mathias Goerne was mesmerizing as Wozzeck and Marie Asmik was a revelation as Marie, but it was the Salzbourg orchestra led by Vladimir Jurowski that kept me spellbound throughout with a brilliant reading of this rich score.

Ron Magnuson