Subject: off topic - an article of interest to the lgbt community
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 Aug 2017 08:57:18 -0500

Begging the indulgence of our moderator, I’d like to share a column from today’s Chicago Tribune with all my friends and colleagues in the LGBT community. The writer denounces “A group of more than 150 evangelical leaders from across the country” that “… released a lengthy statement Tuesday declaring, among other things, this: ‘ WE AFFIRM that it is sinful to approve of homosexual immorality or transgenderism and that such approval constitutes an essential departure from Christian faithfulness and witness.’” (If this group doesn’t represent hate, I need a new definition of the word! I’m not a religious man but, if I were, venom like this would turn me off very quickly.

In this current era of increased acceptance of discrimination and lack of civility the columnist, Rex Huppke, expresses himself better than I can.

Since the online Trib is available only by subscription, I can send the article as a PDF document to anyone who’d like to read it. Just contact me off list.

Kurt Youngmann

The President is merely the most important among a large number of public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else. -Theodore Roosevelt, 26th US President (1858-1919)