Subject: Re: French Opera Rarities
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Aug 2017 14:18:36 -0500

Louise comes to mind.

Lyric Opera of Chicago has never performed it and I can’t recall a Met production since I began listening to the broadcasts c. 1952.

I did see it, however, in 1999 in San Francisco. My recollection is that is was a long, sometimes boring, evening. Renee Fleming was in top form but Jerry Hadley wasn’t having a good night.

What I couldn’t figure out, as the performance progressed, is why basses are so anxious to sing The Father. (Pinza sang it at The Met between 1939 and 1943.) But then came the last act and Samuel Ramey demonstrated what the role was all about. Marvelous!

Would I care to see it again at my advanced and advancing age? I don’t know. Perhaps - if the right cast came along and the production didn’t get regietheatred to death…

Kurt Youngmann

Flattery is all right so long as you don’t inhale. - Adlai Stevenson II