Subject: Re: Sirius 'Trovatore'
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Aug 2017 15:07:30 -0400

Ulrik,

Thanks very much for this information, and sure enough it came from Ed.

Thank you too for mentioning Tucker's singing the "Madre infelice etc."
in the "Pira".  Corelli never did -- I suppose he was nervous about
preparing the last note, but the musical effect of having those lines gone
is terrible.

I should say too that I meant no disrespect to Tucker (or Merrill either),
who certainly had a major instrument, and was amazingly consistent in every
way.  If he ever cracked or sang a note even slightly out of tune I have
never heard it. (And in an early 'Carmen' that Sirius broadcast I was
startled by the beautiful "voix mixte" he used at the end of the duet with
Micaela, not something one normally thinks of in his vocalism.)

I should also say that this broadcast reminded me of the sadly mutilated
condition the standard repertoire used to be presented in.  Every "stretta"
gone and of course no "Tu vedrai".  They must have cut virtually as much as
they sang.  I will never understand the thinking of the people who
originally imagined they knew better than Verdi how the music should go.

David Kubiak