Subject: Re: Operas About Floods?
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Aug 2017 10:18:36 -0700

There is a 1957 recording of Le Roi d'Ys with Janine Micheau, Rita Gorr,
Henri Legay and Jean Borthayre conducted by Andre Cluytens.  Merveillieux!
I remember seeing it at the Opera (Palais Garnier) in the mid/late  60's
with my parents.  I remember the Rozenn was Berthe Monmart.  I believe
Alain Vanzo was the Mylio.  I can't remember the rest of the cast, I was
about 14 at the time.  The baritone baddie is called Karnac.  I guess
that's where Johnny Carson got his character of Karnac the all knowing
magician from .  Somewhere buried in a box, I have the program.  It's a
really good opera.  I like some of the more esoteric French works and would
love to see a champion for them; Griselidis of Massenet is another.  Rosa
Ponselle sang Margared at the Met in 1922.  The rest of the cast included
Frances Alda as Rozenn, Beniamino Gigli as Mylio, Giuseppe Danise as Karnac
and Leon Rothier as the King.  Not bad.  Albert Wolff was the conductor.
There were six performances that season and that was it.

Donald