Subject: Re: Helen Traubel: The loviiest Night of the Year
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Aug 2017 09:46:37 -0700

I love the replies to this thread as Helen Traubel has always been one of
my favorites and as I have stated, the only American singer who for sheer
quality and magnificence of voice can sit aside that golden throne with
Rosa Ponselle.  As Steve Charitan says, in life we take what we can.  What
might have been!  If she had accepted the Met's first offer in 1926, she
would undoubted have coached under Serafin and Bodanzky, would have sung
the Italian roles and then perhaps migrated over to Wagner by the late
thirties.  It would be wonderful if Sony could issue another Traubel set as
they now own the RCA catalogue.  We could have her RCA discs from the early
40's, her Italian arias and the wonderful lieder she recorded for both RCA
and Columbia.  Actually, most of them I believe have been released on
Preiser.  They have two discs devoted to Traubel.

Donald del West
(l'altro)