Subject: French opera rarities
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Aug 2017 12:03:37 -0400

I have not listened to Lalo for a long time and appreciate the suggestion. Along these lines, what are listers' favorite semi-obscure (or completely obscure) nineteenth century French operas? (Probably anything by Meyerbeer still qualifies as semi-obscure--I'm not convinced the Meyerbeer revival has great legs).

My own is Halevy's Clari, revived by Bartoli and others several years ago. I prefer it to La Juive, although history has so far deemed that a minority opinion.