Subject: Re: Operas About Floods?
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Aug 2017 10:47:46 -0400

Meyerbeer and his librettists used the flood as a kind of deus ex machina
in DINORAH, facilitating a transformation of the story toward a happy
ending. My only acquaintance with this opera was Dinorah's "Ombre legere"
until Opera Rara issued their complete recording. Right after the scene
with this famous 'shadow' aria, there is the flood in which Hoel rescues
Dinorah from drowning, thus choosing love over his treasure-hunting greed,
and, now reunited with her love, Dinorah is restored back to 'sanity' as
well. The flood is not the main theme but nonetheless has more than just an
episodic nature in the story.

Donald Kane and David Shengold already mentioned Lalo's LE ROI D'YS, which
reminded me of the recording that I've just pulled off from my record shelf
for a long overdue re-listening  this evening for and would heartily
recommend it to all. It's a broadcast from 1973 with Alain Vanzo, Andrea
Guiot, Jane Rhodes, Robert Massard, etc., Derveaux conducting. I have it on
the Gala label that has a generous bonus of arias from the opera that were
recorded in the interwar years by Vallin, Cernay, Vezzani, Rogatchewsky,
d'Arkor, and others.

Vesna