Subject: Re: Operas About Floods?
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Aug 2017 10:30:19 -0400

This is an excellent contribution to a topic that is not likely to yield
much.  I'd be more interested to see a production of the Rameu
Versailles spectacular than another misdirector's misrepresentation
of a beloved masterpiece, or of a revival of anything by Donizetti or
Rossini whose time, for me, is up.

Lalo's LE ROI DY'S which is also quite literally an opera "about", or
"featuring",  a flood, was given two performances in NYC in the 1980s:
one, fully staged at the Beacon Theatre, and another, in concert at
Carnegie Hall, by Eve Queler.   I enjoyed both. The Overture is thrilling,
and there is a lovely tenor aria.

dtmk