Subject: Re: Operas About Floods?
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Aug 2017 09:28:37 -0400

In Rameauís opera/ballet ďLes FÍtes de l'Hymen et de l'Amour,Ē the water go
god Canopus interrupts the murder/sacrifice of Memphis by causing the Ni
Nile to flood, before he himself appears in "a chariot pulled by crocodiles."  Cr
Crocodiles!

The special stage effects at La Grande Ecurie, Versailles were apparently so
spectacular, audiences couldnít contain themselves (and why should they
have?).  The opera became one of Rameauís biggest successes and at Ve
Versailles alone was performed over 100 times.

This is one of those works that gets revived by small, enterprising baroque
companies, but which I wish a major company would put some dollars
behind and recreate what made Rameauís audiences go gaga.  I'd go.

p.