Subject: Sirius 'Trovatore'
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Aug 2017 11:39:37 -0400

I listened to a '67 'Trovatore' yesterday with Arroyo, Tucker, Merrill, and
that terrible Slavic mezzo Bing used to hire.  Arroyo was quite good, but
the two men sang with such violent vocal accents that the effect sometimes
approached the Marx brothers.  But my question is about 'Il balen'.  It
sounded low to me.  Did the Met transpose it for Merrill late in his career?
 It's not an aria I associate with that treatment.  (I miss Ed Rosen with a
question like this; I'd have an answer in five minutes.)

Thanks.

David Kubiak