Subject: . Operas About Floods
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Aug 2017 03:59:50 +0000

 Rich Lowenthal wrote:
"Kat'a Kabanova drowns at the end of her opera in a storm-swollen river"

Actually she doesn't, though most commentators say she does-- it is clearer in the Ostrovsky play that Kat'a hits an anchor when she jumps into the water and is instantly killed. We are told she looks *as if* alive, with only a small bloodstain-- a detail evoking an Orthodox saint's life. In the opera it's a matter of musical time: there is not sufficient time for a drowning in the course of what Janacek has written. Suicide yes, drowning no: an important distinction.

     Mr. Kane beat me to the punch with LE ROI D'YS.

The lovers in THE WRECKERS by Dame Ethel Smyth drown in a cave.

Stravinsky wrote a 1962 television work called THE FLOOD for tenor, two basses, actors and a chorus.

Modify your settings: