Subject: Re: New Toscanini Bio + new book on the history of "the tales of hoffmann"
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Aug 2017 23:01:54 -0500

My impression is that every company does its own version, picking and choosing whatever fits its preference. The San Francisco performances of a few years ago were an example, inserting a few parts of the current scholarly edition and imposing them onto a concoction of other versions.

Michael Kaye performs a Herculean task in tracing all the myriad changes and additions over the years. Read the book and you'll see that he appears to have accomplished the impossible.

Kurt Youngmann

Sent from my iPad