Subject: Salzburg Wozzek
From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Aug 2017 19:24:47 -0400

I'll go anywhere to see any Wozzeck  and I enjoyed Kentridge’s Lulu and The
Nose,  so I was disappointed in his almost “mechanized” interpretation of
the opera. I'm not going to expand on this here, but there was little
sympathy for anyone, not even the orphaned child in this production. It
seemed to me that Kentridge’s attitude to Wozzeck was as unfeeling as the
Doctor’s and the Captain’s.

On other point:  Although The Nose and Lulu were enhanced being staged
before constantly moving backgrounds - The Nose is a bounce and Lulu is fast
and cruel – Wozzeck is an emotional work that includes a lyrical voice –
that of the orchestra. I would have appreciated visual peace when the
orchestra was singing.