Subject: Re: Bad Seats at the Met (was Re: "Restoring" the Old Met")
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 22 Aug 2017 15:01:51 -0400

The very idea of an opera box in the twentieth century was totally absurd;
even
Joseph Urban knew that.  There is only one way to avoid bad seats in an
auditorium, and that is to abandon any lingering attachment to the
traditional "horseshoe" design, which  the Lincoln Center Met designers
unfortunately did not do.  They had Wagner's solution with its decades of
success staring them in the face but chose to ignore it.   Bayreuth may not
be perfect in every detail, but it was headed in the right direction.

dtmk