Subject: Going Minimalist (was A Vast Collection of CD's and DVD's)
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Aug 2017 11:09:49 -0400

Three weeks ago I moved to a three room studio – the smallest residence
I’ve ever lived (not counting dorms in high school and college) which
required either (a) putting nearly all of my belongings into storage; or (b)
paring down to the bare necessities.  I sold or gave away thousands of
recordings and books, thousands if  DVDs (films, opera, concerts) – all of
which, until recently, I thought I could never survive without, even though
most I’d not listened to or watched in years and, in in some instances, de
decades.

My new Spartan life is exciting and “clean” – with no clutter, zero piles of recordings
recordings  “I’m going to get around to listening to this week,” or stacks of
books being simultaneously read or ignored.  I work only a couple of blocks
from a wonderful public library, which has a phenomenal classical music
and film library, but most of all I’ve discovered the various music download
or streaming stations; Amazon, Spotify and Pandora, etc.  are filling most
of my music needs quite handily.  I have, in fact, been impressed the depth
of the selections available.  On my first search I decided to give it a true
test, looking for my old friend, Rosa Lamoreaux and a recording she made
20 years ago of chants by Hildegard von Bingen.  Bingo, it popped right up instantly.
instantly.

While the sound may not be to the juicy fidelity level of my prior set ups,
my little 3 speaker system is capable of more than filling the apartment
with sound (not just “loud’ but “full”) sufficient enough that I have had
genuine cause for concern I might upset my neighbors (I’ve not yet done so
so and hope to continue).

Not that anyone’s asking (or cares), but it’s been fascinating navigating a
life in a home that consists of a kitchen, a bathroom and, what I call, “The
Room.”   Dividing the room into living spaces has been a challenge,
particularly when one wants to entertain, but not have everything one
owns on immediate display.  I’ve discovered the joy and wonder of shoji
screens and feel I could mount a small version of Butterfly in my new
digs!   When I first made this decision to go minimalist, I was pretty certain
it would last only the term of the one-year lease, but now?  Now I’m
thinking I may be onto a new, less complicated, less stressful way of life.
Less time cleaning and chores, more time for music that comes when I
want it to, and disappears just as easily!

p.