Subject: Re: new book in German on Frida Leider
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 27 Aug 2017 21:06:07 +0000

Ron

I own "Playing my part" and as Max saiid, it is a wondeful document
of a life very well lived. It has the distinct advantage for me of being
in English. Beyond tourist German is not among my accomplishments.

She was a magnificent singer, not only of Wagner, also noted by
Max, but much of her Wagner output in the studio is jawdropping.
I do not agree with Max about the late thirties stuff, particularly
from Covent Garden. I find it unbearable!

But for most of her operatic life, she set a standard mached by few,
and in Wagner, as a totality, matched by none.

Ron, I think that "Playing my part" will satisfy, though. to be fair,
I, like just about everyone else, know nothing about the merits of
the new book.

Bob