Subject: Bad Seats at the Met (was Re: "Restoring" the Old Met")
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 22 Aug 2017 14:40:27 -0400

Russ Geschke mentioned the number of bad or partial-view seats at the Old Met.  In my
experience, some of the worst seats at the New Met are the Parterre Boxes, at least the ones
on the sides of the house (even towards the back).  Unless you are in the front row, part of
the stage is obstructed, and you have to crane around the heads of the people in front of you.
I have twice bought seats in the side boxes (always in the second row), and they have been
an expensive disappointment each time.  Also cramped and uncomfortable.  Never again.

In my experience, the best seats in the house are in the Orchestra, center or just off the side
aisles, and not under the rear overhang, and the front rows of the Grand Tier and Dress
Circle.  In the Family Circle, you are so far away from the stage that it is a bit like watching a
15-inch TV screen.  I have never sat in any of the boxes other than on the Parterre level.

Anyone else have comments on seats to avoid at the Met?  (The score desks with their limited
views are a special case because they are for following scores, not watching the stage.)

MDW