Subject: Re: A Vast Collection of CD's and DVD's
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 27 Aug 2017 12:29:45 -0700

The best sounding streaming service I’ve heard so far is Tidal.

Not “streaming” but some downloads have exceptional sound, significantly better than CD. The files I download from HDTracks, Acoustic Sounds, presto classics and some others yield stunning playback on my system and speakers, particularly high res (greater than CD standard 16-bit, 44.1 KHz - some come at 24-bit 96 KHz and some come at 24-bit 192 KHz).

You download them via your computer onto a hard drive of some sort. Then you need to have one or more components to play them back. One way, as Jason Victor Serenius has recommended, is to have a high quality USB DAC. You use an application on your computer to play the files; the files are output via USB to a DAC that turns them into analog signal which can then be plugged into your system as any other analog piece of equipment (RCA jacks or XLR).

I have a USB DAC, but most of the time I do something else. I have a “network music player” (in my case, Linn Klimax DS) that plugs into my preamp like any other piece of analog equipment. The player is connected to my home LAN via ethernet (some work over wifi). I run a “PnP server” on my computer (a Mac mini) and I have a player app on my iPad. I look up what I want on the player app (much easier than searching through all my CDs and trying to find which track on a multi-CD set has the particular Schubert song I want) and the app “talks to” the PnP server on my computer and “sends” the audio to my Linn player. The sound is extraordinary. Further, I can sit in my chair and type in a search to find the artist and piece I’m looking for. I’ve ripped much of my CD collection onto the hard drive and this is the way I play them back.

It all sounds complicated, but once you have it set up, it all works remarkably smoothly and easily.

That said, I still greatly enjoy the sound of a good vinyl LP or open reel tape.

Max Paley