Subject: Re: Onegin and Lang
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 27 Aug 2017 03:01:51 +0000

 Vesna Danilovic:
"Tchaikovsky admired CARMEN and paid an homage to this opera in his music (my favorite example is the children's
"soldiers" chorus at the beginning of his QUEEN OF SPADES as is also in CARMEN)."

In ONEGIN there is what I have always taken as an homage to another composer Tchaikovsky listened to a lot: the shepherd's tune Tatiana here's after the Letter Scene echoes the little offstage shepherd's song in MIREILLE.
Another Gounod moment that seems to fuel Tchaikovsky, specifically the ballet adagios: the rapturous second act finale of ROMEO ET JULIETTE, beginning with Romeo's "Va! repose en paix!"
Cheers - David Shengold