Subject: Re: Onegin and Lang
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 26 Aug 2017 19:15:39 -0400

That's a very interesting observation. Tchaikovsky admired CARMEN and paid
an homage to this opera in his music (my favorite example is the children's
"soldiers" chorus at the beginning of his QUEEN OF SPADES as is also in
CARMEN). Looking at his biography, he worked on ONEGIN a year or so after
his visit to Paris so I wouldn't be surprised that some of Bizet's musical
sensibilities are echoed in ONEGIN. I'll have to re-listen both arias with
"new ears" (so to speak), though choosing the right interpreters can be
tricky to properly make a comparison in that sense.

I also can't entirely empathize with Lady M. in her sleepwalking scene
though I do hear more of her feelings than you do. Mourning and sorrow  -
yes, but somehow her anxiety eludes me here (this impression can of course
change on a repeated listening.) In any case, the contrast between this
scene and Lenski's aria as made in Mr. Innaurato's original post is quite
illuminating.

Vesna