Subject: Re: Parterre Box information
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 26 Aug 2017 15:20:39 -0400

I remember this incident very well.  I was 16 and snuck into the dress
rehearsal, where there was indeed no Jon Vickers, which made for an
especially interesting vengeance duet, with Gobbi sort of singing both parts
when he could.  But at the performance I saw Mr. Vickers did sing, and if a
memory that old is worth anything, he sang very well.  I'm not sure how many
of the performances he did, but it was at least one.

David Kubiak

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 17:37:58 +0000, marcus overton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Mr. Craig replaced Jon Vickers in the Lyric Opera of Chicago OTELLO in
1966.  That was an interesting story.  Vickers quite literally disappeared
from view without notifying anyone: no call to the rehearsal department,
nothing. The excuse given later was that he had experienced a painful
outbreak of "shingles" on his vocal cords.
>Craig left London at once and got to Chicago in time to sing the dress
rehearsal.  I was very busy with production (Pizzi's set featured a high
walkway with no guard rails, and the supers required to walk on it -- in the
dark -- were terrified; there were lots of extras and marshalling them from
the fifth floor to the stage and getting them in position left little time
to listen) but what I did hear was creditable if not inspiring.