Subject: more on hoffmann - variation after variation and variations on variations
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 26 Aug 2017 09:27:07 -0500

Continuing my comments on the new “Hoffmann” book (I’m reading it slowly in order to take it all in. It’s an extraordinary work!)

There’s an entire chapter devoted to the mutations and permutations this poor opera has undergone. In fact, what has been done to it boggles the mind. Not only are there variations and deviations from the score[s], people (specifically conductors and, even more so, directors) there are also combinations of music and events from one bogus score to the next. Believe me, if what Michael Kaye and his collaborators claim is correct, there are so many zigs and zags that you can’t piece them all together. (Not that the authors haven’t tried!) An entire book could be written on the Giulietta scene alone.

To anyone with the slightest bit of interest in this amazing story, I recommend getting your hands on a copy. It’s a tad expensive - but worth the price,

Kurt Youngmann

I'm not an old, experienced hand at politics. But I am now seasoned enough to have learned that the hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning. - Adlai Stevenson II