Subject: Eugene Onegin (not a good opera)
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 22 Aug 2017 13:34:50 -0400

There was a time when Bach was the darling, because his music was seen as mainly intellectual, and brainy was good. In fact all baroque was good as well.
Russian music- Rach and Tchaikovsky was not good, Puccini at the same time was too sentimental, tacky even.
And I believe part of that was the idea that writing ballet music was a second class activity and tone poems or program music was also naff.

It was a fashion.

Opera has had many fashion crazes.

In Faure's vocal manual, a brilliant book, the audiences demanded novelty. That led to some customs he deplored. I agree with him.

Anyway, at one time Tchaikovsky was "So last year!"

I notice that with the event of our bigotry crisis, the annual Wagner and antisemitism wave did not coincide with Bayreuth's opening. Whew! I don't miss it.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 22, 2017, at 12:27 PM, OPERA-L automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Eugene Onegin (Not a good opera

Modify your settings: