Subject: Cataloguing Music Program
From: "James L. Vendeland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Aug 2017 20:56:38 -0400

Dear Barbara Cook and other members of Opera-L,
     I have been a collector of opera and vocal works on cd and dvd for greater than 35
years.  My particular interest has been in Russian opera and song.  My collection consists of
about 1/2 commercial recordings and 1/2 live recordings obtained from other collectors.
     The software program I have been using since beginning these collections is entitled:
"Classic Collector".  I have found it in the past to be an excellent program for my needs and
perhaps for some of you as well.  I will tell you the some of the benefits and down-side of
this program.  First, on the plus side it is free.  And it can be downloaded from the following
website:  http://web.onetel.com/~lionelkremer/Elk1Main.htm.  I have found it to be a very
user friendly program and have been readily able to make files of specific categories such as
song sung by particular singers or operas by specific composers, etc.  which can be printed
out or the files sent to other collectors or computers.
    Now regarding the problems.  This program works on PCs with Windows but does not
work with Windows 8 or 10.  And I do not think it works with Apple computers.  It was
designed to work with Windows 95 and XP.  What I have done with an older laptop which
uses Windows 7 is to have it dedicated for this program and it does work.  So if you have an
older computer and  XP or Windows 7, it is an option.  Unfortunately the designer of this
program (a British psychiatrist and music lover)can no longer be reached, but for some
reason, the website has remained in operation for the past 12 years.

Let me know if any of you do try this option and find it helpful,

Jim Vendeland
Cleveland