Subject: Aida with Anna
From: Charles Handelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Aug 2017 18:54:13 -0400

AIDA WITH ANNA

Since Charlie knows every breath of his favorite opera, he is eminently
qualified to review the Salzburg Aida,which I just watched, and I LOVED IT!!!!

As to production, it has absolutely nothing to do with Egypt, but it works
well anyway. I am also used to the large Met chorus, and it did not have the
impact in the ensembles. I also yelled at Muti for not allowing that high B
flat, but that aside,it was superb. (I did miss "Io resto a te" held like Mario)
.
SHOCKEROO!!!!   Netrebko sings the most gorgeous,luscious low notes. I was
amazed at sections like "Fuggiam gli ardori inospiti" in act 3 and I did not
know she was capable of such warm mixed chest tones!

I detected a few upper middle slightly edgy notes, but I may not be fair,
because the GLORY of that voice does not come across totally on the video.
She cannot ppp like Zinka or Price, but that aside, she is superb, and
GORGEOUS. Also, every facial expression shows her total involvement in the
text.The head dress in acts 1 and 2,the makeup (all of the Ethiopians have
white streaks down their face from the top) makes her a positive knockout!
 Just wonderful singing,so she and Sondra are the rare remnants of what I
used to consider great divas.

  Meli is a good Radames.The quality in forte is not special,but he sings
lovely piano tones, and the "Celeste Aida" last note is all piano. Also in
act three, "Il ciel dai nostri amoriiii" is beautiful, as are tones in the
Tomb Scene.

Semenchuck's middle tends to be more "sopranoey" but the lows are fabulous
and in general she is truly magnificent. We had Franco,Ferruccio, and now
Roberto Tagliavini as the King. He should have been Ramfis. Wonderful voice!

Glad to see Luca Salsi for the first time and he was superb. Glad also I
will see his one Miller in Luisa Miller next season, a real baritone in the
role!!!

   Still the opera that will always be first in my heart..my first opera
ever, and enjoyed it so much. I know I went ballistic over the B flat Muti
didn't allow, but you know I am a tough guy!!!