Subject: Eugene Onegin (a very good opera)
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 24 Aug 2017 18:55:33 +0000

Katya wrote:

"probably Tchaikovsky is the only person who made Pushkin really present and alive in the world outside of Russia today."

Katya, I would add some credit for Glinka ( RUSLAN I LJUDMILA), Musorsgky (BORIS GODUNOV) and Rimsky-Korsakov (ZOLOTOJ/PETUSHOK/GOLDEN COCKEREL), as all three have currency outside of Russia-- and BORIS and ZOLOTOJ PETUSHOK actually get staged relatively often; RUSLAN many know only from the Overture, frequently heard in concerts and on the radio.
Best - David Shengold