Subject: Amazon Music Unlimited
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 24 Aug 2017 09:43:37 -0400

I've mentioned this to a few people but thought it was worth posting to the
list. For the last couple of months I have been subscribing to the Amazon
streaming service Music Unlimited and have been extremely happy with it. You
can stream music and download to your personal device for a monthly $10
charge ($8 for Prime members). The selection is very wide, covering every
genre of music (and spoken word); the options depend on Amazon's licensing
arrangements, and while it doesn't include every recording, I have certainly
been able to find enough. There are only a few operas I have looked for that
are not included (Juha by Merikanto and Ballad of Baby Doe come to mind) but
have found everything else, including multiple recordings of such relative
obscurities as battaglia di Legnano, Orff's Antigonae, Janacek's Excursions
of Mr. Broucek, and Martinu's Greek Passion. It has a wide range of historic
and live recordings, including historic Met recordings. (I listen to a lot
of jazz as well, and have found its jazz offerings similarly satisfying.)

Since it is a streaming service the sound quality will depend on the speed
and reliability of the network (and is not quite CD quality). I stream from
my laptop to my receiver using Google Chromecast; Chrome will sometimes
cause stutters in the stream as well.

The service is similar to Amazon Prime Music, which is free for Prime
customers; the primary difference is the number of recordings available.
Amazon says that Prime Music contains over two million songs while Unlimited
contains tens of millions. The difference in offerings is substantial: to
give one example, Prime has one recording of Wozzeck (the Stockholm Royal
Opera on Naxos, with Katarina Dalayman), while Unlimited has 11, including
one in English and one in Italian (with Gobbi).

A free month trial is available for those who are interested. And no, I do
not work for Amazon.