Subject: Re: Eugene Onegin
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 24 Aug 2017 08:23:24 +0300

The Royal Opera production a few years ago (on DVD now) dealt with the physicality issues of young Onegin and Tatyana by having these characters double cast with dancers. Most times the singers portrayed the characters physically, at other times the singers watched their younger selves (beautiful young dancers) as if reminiscing and regretting lost opportunities. I had mixed feelings about it; having Stoyanova sing but not act the Letter Scene didn't seem right.

The one moment I found heartbreaking was the duel. "Older" Onegin (Keenlyside) walked up behind Lensky (Pavol Breslik) and put his arms around him. Lensky, of course, was unaware. The warmth, affection and regret Onegin showed, looking back on the scene, was shattering. This was one of those great acting moments when Keenlyside aged in front of our eyes. He also tried, in vain, to stop his younger self from raising the gun.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad