Subject: Re: Eugene Onegin (formerly X )
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Aug 2017 16:10:27 -0400

I was recently watching, from the Verbier Festival, Mikhail Pletnev conducting the
festival orchestra in the Violin Concerto (with Janine Jansen) and the Fourth
Symphony. It made me appreciate recent efforts to refocus on the genius of
Tchaikovsky rather than his "entertainment value." It is on Medici.tv. The next
evening it was Chailly and the Lucerne Festival Orchestra with the Manfred
Symphony. Both conductors treated Tchaikovsky as a master and probed the
depths. Intense and deep music making.

Do we see his other operas programmed as we should? Pique Dame or Iolanta?
Both masterpieces.

Frank Cadenhead